Legalize Trans*

Legalize Trans - Affirm, Include, Appreciate trans and gender-non-conforming people and issues

Friday, March 11, 2011

Day 137 - My first attack

Last week I was sitting on the couch at Trevor's, minding my own business. I had signed out of my personal Facebook and into my Drag persona's Facebook to play some Farmville and update the page. When I signed back on to my Facebook I had a message waiting in my inbox. I opened and read it.





This message has made my life somewhat difficult lately. There are several things to keep in mind. I have NEVER actually met or talked to this woman. She is one of my best friends' step-mother. We'd be friends on Facebook for a few years and exchanged the occasional comment back and forth.

I know that these words shouldn't affect me, her opinion doesn't even matter. But, the comparisons are just so painful. Being queer and trans is NOT the same as doing drugs and/or sleeping around. And the last sentence where she asks, "One questions I ask you to ask yourself - if your life is so wonderful, why do you need anti depressants?" Because I've been depressed to the point of suicidal thoughts since I was 12 years old, BEFORE I even came out or knew who I was attracted. The audacity of some people. I didn't ask for her opinion, nor did I want it. The nerve of this woman amazes me. I'm really glad that you have such a strong opinion of me, seeing as how we have never met, ever. She has never had a conversation with me. All she knows about me is from Facebook and whatever her daughter has told her.

I'm going to write her back but I have to take A LOT of time to formulate what I'm going to say because at this moment it would pretty much read, "Who the fuck do you think you are?"

That which doesn't kill me, will make me stronger. I will be stronger from this one day. This doesn't affect my relationship with any of my friends, family, Trevor, or this woman's daughter. It just reminds me that not everyone is accepting as my amazing friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment