Legalize Trans*

Legalize Trans - Affirm, Include, Appreciate trans and gender-non-conforming people and issues

Monday, October 25, 2010

Day 1- I'm coming out, I want the world to know... Or, well, just my parents

Monday October 25, 2010:
So, after Kayla dropped me back off at my dorm our relationship went "Facebook Official". When I woke up that morning I realized that I still hadn't come out to my parents and was now 'in a relationship with' a woman with a fohawk. I thought that my parents (or at least my mom, since my dad doesn't use his Facebook all that often) would start to get suspicious. So, I called my mom at work and told her, not only that I was bisexual but that I had a girlfriend. She didn't really react. She just kind of said, "Okay, thanks for telling me." She later told me that she thought it was "weird" and that she just "wants me to be happy, but doesn't think this will make me happy". Then I called my dad and told him and he also seemed to say, "Okay". Later when I talked to him he said that if this was who I am and how I feel then that's my deal. I was frustrated, well, actually I was hurt and really angry. I really expected them to freak out and be really upset but their seeming indifference really made me mad. I just wanted them to take a stand on it either way, you know? I wanted to know how they feel. I know that they love me no matter what but I wish we could talk about it. It gets really frustrating at times. I want to yell, "HEY! THIS IS HUGE! THIS IS A BIG DEAL! LET'S TALK ABOUT IT!" But, they will talk to me about it when they are ready to talk about it.

Part of me thinks that my dad is sort of okay with this. Just they way he and I have interacted since I came out gives me the feeling that he is accepting of it. However, I think my mom thinks it's a phase. I feel like she's saying to herself, "Okay, this is a cute phase, Add. Let me know when you're done experimenting." I don't know if I'll ever know how they feel about it. We aren't so good at talking about our feelings in my family. That's okay with me because I'm finally happy. I'm not hiding a huge part of who I am from people anymore. I feel so free. I can finally be myself and the people that have a problem with it are not worth my time. I don't need anyone in my life that can't accept this part of me. I don't need any excess negativity in my life right now. I need people who will support me and love me for who I am. Whether I'm dating a man, woman, or transgender person, it doesn't matter. Who I am hasn't changed and if someone can't deal with my sexuality and it is such a big deal that they'll stop talking to me, then it seems like they have some problems of their own to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment